i looked all over for a cute elf hat pattern for adults. but i couldnt find one so i had to make one myself. since i was at it anyhow i figured i might as well share the crafty love and let you all know how i made it. maybe next year there will be an army of happy handmade holiday elf hats runnin around! you of course can download this pattern here as a pdf and que it here on ravlery
- Worsted weight yarn in 3 colors- i used "i love this yarn" in red sparkle, limelight, and white sparkle.
- size K crochet hook
- Yarn needle (for weaving in the ends)
- pom pom maker
- HDC- Half Double Crochet
- FPHDC- Front Post HDC
- BPHDC- Back Post HDC
- ST- Stitch
- INC- Increase (make 2 HDC in one ST)
- special techniques adjustible ring, no join join. do NOT join each round with a SL and then CH 2. just keep working in HDC around and around (you CAN join it if you want to but this way is quicker)
- Start by making 5 HDC in a adjustible ring
- 1 HDC per ST around
- INC by 2 stitches in this round (it doesnt have to be perfect. i just eyeballed the front center and back center and did my increases there)
- repeat steps 2 and 3 (changing colors every 4 rounds. i just carried the yarn up the inside of the work but you can leave tails and weave all that mumbo jumbo in if you want to) until you have a total of 60 stitches the numbers not really that important, just somewhere around 60 and make it an even number of ST
- stop INC. just make 1 HDC per ST around for 16 rounds continuing to change colors every 4 rounds
- Switch to your 3rd color (using only this color from here on out) and make 1 HDC per ST around for 3 rounds. work the 3rd round through the front loop only
- for the next 6 rounds you will alternate 1 FPHDC and 1 BPHDC
- Make pom pom in your favorite way and attach to the pointy end of the hat
- weave in all your ends and you are DONE!!!!
- Don new head festoonery and wear with holiday glee!!!